Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Warning in meshing!!!

Muthuraman Chinnadurai

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everybody,
I tried to simulate a 3D problem in electrostatics and found the following warning message under meshing,"face is much smaller than the specified minimum element size". Please help me to infer from the same!!!
Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 11, 2012, 2:06 p.m. EST
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2012, 2:06 p.m. EST
Muthuraman,

This is a common warning in my experience. Note that warnings are not fatal to moving forward in your modeling work. Errors however need to be addressed.

The warning you received alerts you to the fact that your geometry has a very small face relative to your minimum element size (a Mesh setting). If you want to disregard this warning and would like it not to show up, simply decrease the minimum element size setting and re-mesh until the warning goes away.

Alternatively, you can heed the warning and consider doing defeaturing of your geometry using the CAD defeaturing functionality of the COMSOL Geometry node. The warning should tell you which face is the problem face.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Muthuraman, This is a common warning in my experience. Note that warnings are not fatal to moving forward in your modeling work. Errors however need to be addressed. The warning you received alerts you to the fact that your geometry has a very small face relative to your minimum element size (a Mesh setting). If you want to disregard this warning and would like it not to show up, simply decrease the minimum element size setting and re-mesh until the warning goes away. Alternatively, you can heed the warning and consider doing defeaturing of your geometry using the CAD defeaturing functionality of the COMSOL Geometry node. The warning should tell you which face is the problem face. Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.