Note: Extended microfluidics capabilities are available in the new Microfluidics Module. The MEMS Module now focuses on microelectromechanical applications and does not include any microfluidics capabilities beyond what is included in the main COMSOL Multiphysics software.
New Functionality in Version 4.2
- Improved solver defaults in the Fluid-Structure Interaction interface.
- Symbols for boundary conditions and loads in the Graphics window.
- A new study type, Prestressed analysis, Eigenfrequency, available for the Solid Mechanics interface.
- A new study type, Prestressed analysis, Frequency domain, available for the Solid Mechanics interface.
- Springs and dampers are available for points, edges, boundaries, and domains available for the Solid Mechanics interface.
- Thin elastic layers are available on interior boundaries and between pairs in assemblies. in the Solid Mechanics interface.
- Added mass can be specified for edges, boundaries, and domains for all interfaces available for the Solid Mechanics interface.
- The force on the rigid connector can be given an arbitrary position.
- For the rigid connector you can give mass and inertial properties either directly or through declaring a domain as rigid.
- Improved default solver settings for the Thermal Stress and Joule Heating and Thermal Expansion interfaces.
- Geometric nonlinearity is available also in the Thermal Stress and Joule Heating and Thermal Expansion interfaces.
- Plasticity can now be added to domains selectively without redefining the underlying elastic data.
- Plasticity is now supported for orthotropic and anisotropic materials.
- Damping is available also for hyperelastic and elastoplastic materials.
- Infinite elements for truncating models covering large domains are available.
- The contact pair penalty factors have better defaults that are available for all material models.
- The contact pair can have different offset expressions for the source and destination side boundaries.
Backward Compatibility vs. Version 3.5a
- The solid predefined coupling is missing but can be performed manually
- Perforated plates are not yet available. These have to be modeled in version 4.2 using the full geometric description or using equation view.