When starting COMSOL Multiphysics, I receive this error message:
Could not obtain license for COMSOL Multiphysics GUI.
License error: -25
License server system does not support this version of this feature
License file does not support this version.
Application version > License version: 5.5 > 5.4
License path: C:\Program Files\COMSOL\COMSOL55\Multiphysics\license\license.dat;
FlexNet Licensing error:-21,126
The solution is to update the on-site COMSOL License Manager software from COMSOL version 5.4 to version 5.5. Step-by-step instructions can be found below.
Note: the COMSOL 5.5 license manager binaries and license files are backward compatible with COMSOL installations back to version 3.5a. This means that existing installations of COMSOL 5.4 and earlier will continue to function as normal after the license manager has been updated to version 5.5.
Please note that while updating the license manager, COMSOL® will not be available on your network. This means that users will need to save their work before transitioning to the new license manager.
Updating the COMSOL License Manager software on Windows
The COMSOL License Manager is installed as a Windows service. We will use the LMTOOLS license utility program to upgrade the license manager service to COMSOL version 5.5.
- Install the COMSOL 5.5 License Manager on the license server. Please see the section License Manager Installation on Windows in the COMSOL Multiphysics Installation Guide for instructions. Alternatively, download the license manager binaries using the link at the bottom of this page.
- Start the LMTOOLS license tool from the Start menu>All Programs>COMSOL Multiphysics 5.5>COMSOL Launchers>LMTOOLS.
- On the Service/License File tab, select the COMSOL License Manager.
- Go to the Start/Stop/Reread page and click the Stop Server button.
- Go to the Config Services page. Change the paths to
license.datso that they all point to the COMSOL 5.5 installation directory. Starting with the version of the Flexnet distributed with COMSOL Multiphysics 5.4, the permissions where the license manager is allowed to write has been changed. The current recommendation is to store the debug log file,
comsol55.login the directory
- Click the Save Service button.
- Go to the Start/Stop/Reread page and click the Start Server button.
- Choose Exit from the File menu to close LMTOOLS.
The update is now complete. The license server does not need to be restarted.
Updating the COMSOL License Manager software on Linux and Macintosh
- Install the COMSOL 5.5 License Manager components on the license server, available from the COMSOL 5.5 installation media. Please see the section License Manager Installation on Linux or License Manager Installation on Mac OS X in the COMSOL Multiphysics Installation Guide for instructions. Alternatively, download the license manager binaries using the links at the bottom of this page.
Stop the COMSOL license manager: Make the
comsol55/multiphysics/license/$archdirectory the current directory, where
glnxa64(64-bit Linux), or
maci64(64-bit Mac OS X). Stop the 5.4 license manager with the lmdown command:
./lmdown -c ../license.dat
Start the COMSOL 5.5 License Manager with the lmgrd command:
./lmgrd -c ../license.dat -L /var/tmp/comsol55.log
Note: If running the lmgrd command returns the error message ./lmgrd: Command not found., the license server is missing required libraries for LSB (Linux Standard Base). For information on how to fix this issue, please see solution 1199
Finally, modify the boot script that starts the COMSOL License Manager automatically at boot. For instruction on how the boot scripts should be set up, please see the COMSOL Multiphysics Installation and Operations Guide.
The update is now complete.
Solution 903. (Could not obtain license for COMSOL Multiphysics GUI).
Solution 1078. (Problems running a classkit)
COMSOL makes every reasonable effort to verify the information you view on this page. Resources and documents are provided for your information only, and COMSOL makes no explicit or implied claims to their validity. COMSOL does not assume any legal liability for the accuracy of the data disclosed. Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark details.