Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC voltage source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i just started using comsol. Can any body tell me how do i create AC voltage source, or rather apply a sinusoidally varying potential (as a boundary condition) to a surface.

2 Replies Last Post Aug 28, 2010, 6:27 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2010, 2:43 a.m. EDT
Hi

it depends if you want to do time / transient analysis or harmonic analysis (continuous sinus load)

in time transient you must define you voltage or whatever laod as a function of time "t" à la X=X0*sin(2*pi*freq*t)

in harmonic the sin(2*pi*f*t) is assumed defined (harmonic development) so its only the frequenecy "f" you define and the amplitude is given by the external force or voltage (depends on the physiscs choosen)

Check the doc on transient and harmonic solver modes, and the effect on the equations
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it depends if you want to do time / transient analysis or harmonic analysis (continuous sinus load) in time transient you must define you voltage or whatever laod as a function of time "t" à la X=X0*sin(2*pi*freq*t) in harmonic the sin(2*pi*f*t) is assumed defined (harmonic development) so its only the frequenecy "f" you define and the amplitude is given by the external force or voltage (depends on the physiscs choosen) Check the doc on transient and harmonic solver modes, and the effect on the equations -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 28, 2010, 6:27 a.m. EDT
thanx Ivar. that was helpful.
thanx Ivar. that was helpful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.