Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cone and plate apparatus

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I imported my file (.x_t) in Comsol, is the simulation of a cone and plate apparatus.
The cone rotates in a simple harmonic way on a stationary plate, assuming the angle between the cone and plate is small.
In the plate there is a medium and my goal of this study is to develop a flow model to simulate shear stress patterns.
After importation, I write physics conditions but when I do the mesh, Comsol stop simulation because there is an error in edge 12.
Why? This geometry is imported!
I don't know what to do this simulation because is the first time that I use Comsol but I must do as soon as possible!
Can you help me?
Thank's a lot

Anna Rita (colleague of Stella)

2 Replies Last Post May 12, 2010, 9:14 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2010, 7:41 a.m. EDT
Hi,
The errors in meshing had come up when i was using free mesh. for better results with free mesh try simplifying geometry by removing unwanted nodes etc. else, try using a mapped mesh and start with meshing the edges and move up to subdomains.
hope this helps
leon

Hi, The errors in meshing had come up when i was using free mesh. for better results with free mesh try simplifying geometry by removing unwanted nodes etc. else, try using a mapped mesh and start with meshing the edges and move up to subdomains. hope this helps leon

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 12, 2010, 9:14 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe it is related to your thin but big shape, and that some of your surfaces are partially cut. You can have a perfectly coherent geometry imported, but still difficulties to mesh it, especially with such large aspect ratios

I would have imported only the 2D cut and meshed it into 3D by a revolved mesh. this makes a "quad/bricks" but you can always make it as "tets" with the mesh conversion.

The other way would be to import it as 1/4 quadrant and mirror it in COMSOL, unfortunately you cannot mirror the mesh, yet

Have fun Comsoling

Ivar
Hi I believe it is related to your thin but big shape, and that some of your surfaces are partially cut. You can have a perfectly coherent geometry imported, but still difficulties to mesh it, especially with such large aspect ratios I would have imported only the 2D cut and meshed it into 3D by a revolved mesh. this makes a "quad/bricks" but you can always make it as "tets" with the mesh conversion. The other way would be to import it as 1/4 quadrant and mirror it in COMSOL, unfortunately you cannot mirror the mesh, yet Have fun Comsoling Ivar