Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I get the capacitance function of deformation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to simulate the change in capacitance of a capacitor function of the plastic deformation. I'm doing this to compare it to the experimental results. I have included an image which represents the concept. The idea is that once force is applied to the base plate it will deform and this will chance the shape of the capacitor. The base-plate is glass fibre/polyester and the two blocks on top (capacitor plates)are copper.

I have done the simulation separately for smsld and emes with no problems but I can't get it right for the Multiphysics part.

I have done a simulation in multiphysics under electrostatics and solid stress-strain but I can't get the capacitance. Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

I'm mostly interested in a graph: capacitance function of force/deformation.

Also, is this the correct approach?

Many thanks in advance,
Robert

1 Reply Last Post May 11, 2010, 5:44 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2010, 5:44 a.m. EDT
seems the correct approach based on what you say... assuming you do all the details right of course.
just calculate the electric field energy when you apply a test voltage differences of 1V betweent he 2 electrode surfaces and this value will be half the capacitance. this is basic electrostatic
jf
seems the correct approach based on what you say... assuming you do all the details right of course. just calculate the electric field energy when you apply a test voltage differences of 1V betweent he 2 electrode surfaces and this value will be half the capacitance. this is basic electrostatic jf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.