Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2 simulation, 2 geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody.

I have a problem with a particular job I want to do with Comsol.
I have to run two different simulations, but in the first simulation I want Comsol to calculate the solution only for some subdomains, not for the entire geometry. Then I want to run a simulation which considers also the other part of the domain not included in the first one.
I’m using the Earth Science Module, axial symmetry 2D. In the first run I want to assign an initial stress state to my model due to its own weight. Then, in the second run, Comsol should use the results of the first run but it has also to consider the interaction with the other part of geometry in the model.
Is there the possibility to deactivate some elements (or an entire subdomain) I’m not considering in the first run?
Can someone help me?
Thanks everybody

2 Replies Last Post Jan 24, 2011, 11:41 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 24, 2009, 11:40 a.m. EDT
Uncheck the "Active in this domain" in the Subdomain settings. Not sure this will work correclty for your application though.

Greetz,

Maarten.
Uncheck the "Active in this domain" in the Subdomain settings. Not sure this will work correclty for your application though. Greetz, Maarten.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2011, 11:41 a.m. EST
Hi Filippo,

did you find any solution to this problem in the meantime?
This would be very interesting to me as well, as I am currently dealing with exactly this issue!

This problem with the initial stress conditions is very common in the earth sciences.

What earth scientists often are interested in are differential stresses and strains, that arise from changes in a geometry, that formerly had reached its gravitational equilibrium already.

Other FEM codes simply can switch of any initial deformations and assume, that the input geometry of a model is in equilibrium already (this means zero initial deformation).

So, if you found a simple way how to achieve this in Comsol, I would be very glad to know how!

I simply wanted to run a stationary solver on the initial geometry and then substract these "comsol induced" initial strains from every step of my transient run, in order to get only differential stresses and strains.
But this does not seem to be as straight forward, as I expected it to be (at least not to me and not yet ;-).
For some reasons I cannot address the stationary solution in the plotting command, if I do not solve it in the same study, as I do the transient run.

Recently I received some interesting help from the comsol support.
If I find out a good solution, I can mail this to you, if you are still interested..

Best wishes,
Juergen

Hi Filippo, did you find any solution to this problem in the meantime? This would be very interesting to me as well, as I am currently dealing with exactly this issue! This problem with the initial stress conditions is very common in the earth sciences. What earth scientists often are interested in are differential stresses and strains, that arise from changes in a geometry, that formerly had reached its gravitational equilibrium already. Other FEM codes simply can switch of any initial deformations and assume, that the input geometry of a model is in equilibrium already (this means zero initial deformation). So, if you found a simple way how to achieve this in Comsol, I would be very glad to know how! I simply wanted to run a stationary solver on the initial geometry and then substract these "comsol induced" initial strains from every step of my transient run, in order to get only differential stresses and strains. But this does not seem to be as straight forward, as I expected it to be (at least not to me and not yet ;-). For some reasons I cannot address the stationary solution in the plotting command, if I do not solve it in the same study, as I do the transient run. Recently I received some interesting help from the comsol support. If I find out a good solution, I can mail this to you, if you are still interested.. Best wishes, Juergen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.