Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference between contact pair and identity boundary pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to Comsol and I was building my model, a cylinder inserted into a closed end sleeve. Load is applied on the top surface of the inner cylinder (like a piston-cylinder configuration). They are two separate objects, so I used 'Form Assembly in Model 1'.

The issue I am confused about is when you define whether it is a contact pair or a identity boundary pair. There are two surfaces on the cylinder contact with the sleeve: bottom surface of cylinder with closed end surface of sleeve, peripheral surface of cylinder with inner surface of the sleeve.

If I am not mistaken, a corresponding boundary condition need to be defined on both contacting surfaces, in 'pair'. There are several options in 'pair': 'contact', 'boundary load', 'fixed constraint', 'free' etc. If I use 'boundary load', it is working, however, when I use 'contact', error appears (results not converge).

Please check the attachment for my model.

I will be glad if someone can help me with this.

Jing

0 Replies Last Post Nov 21, 2013, 4:42 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jinghua Tang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.