Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluate Torque applied on a disc

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm a new user of Comsol. I am trying to do a simple test of applying a torque to a disc and then simply evaluating it.
I believe I have managed to apply a torque correctly to my disc, but I don't know how to evalute/verify its value in the result section of my simulation.
Can somebody tell me how to do this?

I'll really appriciate your help!

James

2 Replies Last Post Nov 21, 2013, 4:36 a.m. EST
Thierry Luthy COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2013, 3:07 a.m. EST
Bonjour,

With the boundary setting "Rigid Connector" you can directly give a moment to a surface.
Look at the model attached!

Remark:
"Include geometric nonlinearity" (Large_Deformation.PNG) introduces the calculation for large deformation.
You find information in the HELP about this topic. HELP >> Documentation >> Structural Mechanics Module >> User's Guide (PDF) >> Search for "Include geometric nonlinearity" or "large deformation".

Make some tests, new models and come back to us if you have additional questions >> support@comsol.com

OK for you like this?

Je vous souhaite une excellente journée.
Cordialement,
Thierry Luthy

===================================
COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH
Technoparkstr. 1
8005 Zürich
===================================

Bonjour, With the boundary setting "Rigid Connector" you can directly give a moment to a surface. Look at the model attached! Remark: "Include geometric nonlinearity" (Large_Deformation.PNG) introduces the calculation for large deformation. You find information in the HELP about this topic. HELP >> Documentation >> Structural Mechanics Module >> User's Guide (PDF) >> Search for "Include geometric nonlinearity" or "large deformation". Make some tests, new models and come back to us if you have additional questions >> support@comsol.com OK for you like this? Je vous souhaite une excellente journée. Cordialement, Thierry Luthy =================================== COMSOL Multiphysics GmbH Technoparkstr. 1 8005 Zürich ===================================

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2013, 4:36 a.m. EST
Dear Thierry,

Thank you very much for your rapid response and for showing me how to apply a torque more "cleanly" to my disc.
Where I'm still having problems is that I want to plot/evaluate the torque that is applied to the disc.
I simply want to plot the torque applied to the disc as a function of the torque that I programmed the simulation to apply. I should therefore have a linear graphe with a gradiant of 1.

I have tried to do this with what I think is the applied torque on the disc, I have a linear graph but the gradiant isn't 1 (see attached file).
Could you show/tell me how to do this?

Thanks again!

Regards,

James
Dear Thierry, Thank you very much for your rapid response and for showing me how to apply a torque more "cleanly" to my disc. Where I'm still having problems is that I want to plot/evaluate the torque that is applied to the disc. I simply want to plot the torque applied to the disc as a function of the torque that I programmed the simulation to apply. I should therefore have a linear graphe with a gradiant of 1. I have tried to do this with what I think is the applied torque on the disc, I have a linear graph but the gradiant isn't 1 (see attached file). Could you show/tell me how to do this? Thanks again! Regards, James

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.