Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase difference in current-carrying conductors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I am building a model where 1kA, 50Hz three-phase current is passing trough a 80mm steel wall in (three..) copper conductors (r=12.5mm). The copper conductors are isolated from the steel wall with isolators (r=35mm).

The model will provide an estimate of resistive losses in the steel wall due to induced currents.

Creating and solving the model without taking the 120deg phase shifts of the currents into consideration seems easy enough.

But how do i model the 120deg phase shift between the currents?

I am not interested in the time-varying magnetic fields, only the total resistive losses in the steel wall.

Thanks in advance.

- tore

4 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2010, 8:26 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2010, 9:39 a.m. EDT
Hi

quick reply with first thoughts, but one need to check carefully in the doc, if you are in time domain add a phase term to your sinus, but I would expect you to work in the hamonic mode, then I woud use the phasor for the three currents. I believe there is something like that on the forum, try a search. or was it one of the example

Will have a look again tonight, just too busy right now ;)

Lykke til
Ivar
Hi quick reply with first thoughts, but one need to check carefully in the doc, if you are in time domain add a phase term to your sinus, but I would expect you to work in the hamonic mode, then I woud use the phasor for the three currents. I believe there is something like that on the forum, try a search. or was it one of the example Will have a look again tonight, just too busy right now ;) Lykke til Ivar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2010, 6:33 p.m. EDT
Hi again

In fact, having had a second look, I assume you are in ACDC mode Time harmonic current mode, then your current flow boundary condition has a J0 [A/m^2] that chould be expressed as Jin[A/m^2]*e^(i*phase) here the imaginary part is the phase, 0, 2/3*pi, 4/3*pi for you, just check thatyou have the correct frequency too, the default is not always the one wanted.

It's explained in the doc, try the ACDCUG.PDF and search for "phase" and "phasor"

I did not find back the example I was thinking off, it could have been one from one of the COMSOL courses I have followed

Good luck
Ivar
Hi again In fact, having had a second look, I assume you are in ACDC mode Time harmonic current mode, then your current flow boundary condition has a J0 [A/m^2] that chould be expressed as Jin[A/m^2]*e^(i*phase) here the imaginary part is the phase, 0, 2/3*pi, 4/3*pi for you, just check thatyou have the correct frequency too, the default is not always the one wanted. It's explained in the doc, try the ACDCUG.PDF and search for "phase" and "phasor" I did not find back the example I was thinking off, it could have been one from one of the COMSOL courses I have followed Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 23, 2010, 5:15 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar.

Thank you for your reply.

As you say, I work in ACDC time-harmonic mode - 3D.

I have entered the following expressions for my three currents as the "Inward current flow" - Jn - boundary condition.

1000*exp(j*0*pi)
1000*exp(j*2/3*pi)
1000*exp(j*4/3*pi)

Still finding this somewhat cryptical, I would like to verify the behaviour of the currents in an animation.

I have found the "explanation" on how to animate phasors in the documentation, but I have difficulties understanding it. All my attempts result in a animation where nothing is changing.

Can you explain what I need to do?

- tore
Hello Ivar. Thank you for your reply. As you say, I work in ACDC time-harmonic mode - 3D. I have entered the following expressions for my three currents as the "Inward current flow" - Jn - boundary condition. 1000*exp(j*0*pi) 1000*exp(j*2/3*pi) 1000*exp(j*4/3*pi) Still finding this somewhat cryptical, I would like to verify the behaviour of the currents in an animation. I have found the "explanation" on how to animate phasors in the documentation, but I have difficulties understanding it. All my attempts result in a animation where nothing is changing. Can you explain what I need to do? - tore

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 23, 2010, 8:26 a.m. EDT
Hi

this says me something, we have treated that earler, try a search on the forum, sucn as animation and phasor or phase

I'm stuck in a meeting for some hours

Lykke til
Ivar
Hi this says me something, we have treated that earler, try a search on the forum, sucn as animation and phasor or phase I'm stuck in a meeting for some hours Lykke til Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.