Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Define rigid body rotation if the radius is assumed to deform homogeneously

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol professionals:

I met some problems defining boundary conditions while using 3D solid mechanics (stationary) to model the torsion of a cylinder. My goal is to model the deformation of the cylinder assuming that the radius deforms homogeneously. For example, if the original radius is 0.01m. After the deformation, the radius of the whole cylinder becomes 0.011m. And the height of the cylinder is assumed to be constant.

Now I set flexible rigid body at both ends, with theta=0 at one end (lower plane), and theta=theta_0 at another end (upper plane). The displacement of the center of rotation is (0,0,0) on both ends. Hyperelastic material is used and nearly incompressible St Venant-Kirchhoff material is chosen.

How could I define the boundary conditions to reach the goal?

0 Replies Last Post Aug 3, 2023, 1:13 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zack Pan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.