Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding Acoustic Pressure in Vibrating Tube imposed by Piezoelectric Transducer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear community,

I have a question about a model that I have created in COMSOL Multiphysics.

I am modelling a piezoelectric transducer that is glued to a glass tube containing water. The piezoelectric transducer has a voltage applied to it at a certain frequency, which makes it vibrate. This induces a vibration in the glass tube as well, which would in reality create standing waves in the water (this has been proven by experiments).

My goal is to find the acoustic pressure in the water at certain points.

So far, I succeeded in creating a transducer and making it vibrate. I have also attached a glass tube to it (with Form Union, but I think it should be done differently).

The problems that I am encountering are: - When I add water to the inside of the tube, I need to add material properties for Water such as Elastic Modulus (which don't exist for water to my knowledge). It seems to apply Electrostatics and Solid Mechanics to Water, which shouldn't be the case. - I don't know how to add a Glue connection between the transducer and the tube. - I can't seem to find the correct combination of Physics that is needed to eventually find the acoustic pressure in the water.

So my questions are: - How do I add a glued connection between the transducer and the tube? - How do I add water in the tube, without the program asking me to provide material properties that don't exist? - Which modules do I need to add to find the (acoustic) pressure in the water?

I have added some pictures for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Lars

1 Reply Last Post May 23, 2023, 11:55 a.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 11 months ago May 23, 2023, 11:55 a.m. EDT
Updated: 11 months ago May 23, 2023, 11:56 a.m. EDT

How do I add a glued connection between the transducer and the tube? -

Either put the two materials in contact or introduce a glue layer and add the material properties for your glue.

How do I add water in the tube, without the program asking me to provide material properties that don't exist?

Comsol asks for the water elastic modulus because you are attempting to treat it like a solid. Consider adding acpr physics and couple the solid tube to the liquid water.

> How do I add a glued connection between the transducer and the tube? - Either put the two materials in contact or introduce a glue layer and add the material properties for your glue. > How do I add water in the tube, without the program asking me to provide material properties that don't exist? Comsol asks for the water elastic modulus because you are attempting to treat it like a solid. Consider adding acpr physics and couple the solid tube to the liquid water.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.