Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dimensionless 2-dimensional topology optimization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all We are currently working on 2D and 3D topology optimization of natural convection. The first common problems encountered are: 1. warnings that the orthogonal solution fails and requests a reduction in the step size; 2. errors that the solution cannot be found, the maximum number of Newtonian iterations is reached, the returned solution does not converge and all parameter steps are not returned. Finally, how should the dimensionless parameter Gr on buoyancy be entered into the model? Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank best regards.

3 Replies Last Post Apr 18, 2023, 9:12 a.m. EDT
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 18, 2023, 3:58 a.m. EDT

Hi

You can use move limits or more conservative settings for the nonlinear solver to reduce the risk that this fails. It is not clear from your question, whether you are solving the stationary or the transient case. If you are solving the transient case, you can increase the robustness of the adjoint computation by forcing the solver to use the same time steps going forward. It might also be beneficial to use a fixed time step, see tesla_microvalve_transient_optimization in the application gallery for an example of transient topology optimization.

If you need help with a specific model, I suggest contacting comsol.com/support.

Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Hi You can use move limits or more conservative settings for the nonlinear solver to reduce the risk that this fails. It is not clear from your question, whether you are solving the stationary or the transient case. If you are solving the transient case, you can increase the robustness of the adjoint computation by forcing the solver to use the same time steps going forward. It might also be beneficial to use a fixed time step, see tesla_microvalve_transient_optimization in the application gallery for an example of transient topology optimization. If you need help with a specific model, I suggest contacting comsol.com/support. Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 18, 2023, 5:11 a.m. EDT

Hi

You can use move limits or more conservative settings for the nonlinear solver to reduce the risk that this fails. It is not clear from your question, whether you are solving the stationary or the transient case. If you are solving the transient case, you can increase the robustness of the adjoint computation by forcing the solver to use the same time steps going forward. It might also be beneficial to use a fixed time step, see tesla_microvalve_transient_optimization in the application gallery for an example of transient topology optimization.

If you need help with a specific model, I suggest contacting comsol.com/support.

Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

hi Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I am using a steady-state solver. Where should I improve on the errors that occur in this case? Does Comsol have examples and instructional videos related to convective topology optimization in 2D and 3D, and can you provide them? Best regards.

>Hi > >You can use move limits or more conservative settings for the nonlinear solver to reduce the risk that this fails. It is not clear from your question, whether you are solving the stationary or the transient case. If you are solving the transient case, you can increase the robustness of the adjoint computation by forcing the solver to use the same time steps going forward. It might also be beneficial to use a fixed time step, see tesla_microvalve_transient_optimization in the application gallery for an example of transient topology optimization. > >If you need help with a specific model, I suggest contacting comsol.com/support. > >Best regards, >Kristian E. Jensen >Technical Product Manager, Optimization hi Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I am using a steady-state solver. Where should I improve on the errors that occur in this case? Does Comsol have examples and instructional videos related to convective topology optimization in 2D and 3D, and can you provide them? Best regards.

Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 18, 2023, 9:12 a.m. EDT

The microreactor_optimization application library model demonstrates steady-state topology optimization for a convective problem.

The microreactor_optimization application library model demonstrates steady-state topology optimization for a convective problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.