Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency Domain Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm starting to use Comsol and I'm trying to do a frequency domain study on a poroelastic material subject to a sinusoidal load which frequency is in the range 1 to 100 Hz. My problem is that I don't know how to define this periodic load, can someone please help me?
Thanks,
Greta

4 Replies Last Post Oct 20, 2012, 2:46 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 7:39 a.m. EDT
I was struggling with as well with acoustics, but I concluded that if you do a frequency domain study COMSOL assumes that loads on your system are in a sinusoidal frequency.
I was struggling with as well with acoustics, but I concluded that if you do a frequency domain study COMSOL assumes that loads on your system are in a sinusoidal frequency.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 10:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

the external loads / forces you apply are ALL considered as amplitudes (might be complex) of the frequency span, and the frequency is defined in the solver node, as a value or a range

This is the default way for harmonic developments, check the equation tab of the main physics nodes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the external loads / forces you apply are ALL considered as amplitudes (might be complex) of the frequency span, and the frequency is defined in the solver node, as a value or a range This is the default way for harmonic developments, check the equation tab of the main physics nodes -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 8:44 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
thanks for your help. I checked the equations of the frequency domain and, from what I understand, the frequency study considers as periodic only Fv ( a body load) while I'd like to simulate a periodic boundary load. In fact, I'm trying to simulate the effect of an indentation test on the poroelastic material. Can you please tell me how to reach this goal?
Thanks,
Greta
Hi Ivar, thanks for your help. I checked the equations of the frequency domain and, from what I understand, the frequency study considers as periodic only Fv ( a body load) while I'd like to simulate a periodic boundary load. In fact, I'm trying to simulate the effect of an indentation test on the poroelastic material. Can you please tell me how to reach this goal? Thanks, Greta

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 2:46 p.m. EDT
Hi

Normally all loads are "harmonic", not only body loads, also boundary loads. Check carefully, and i.e. make a simple example to get convinced

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally all loads are "harmonic", not only body loads, also boundary loads. Check carefully, and i.e. make a simple example to get convinced -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.