Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

roof truss modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all.

This problem has nothing to do with course work but like many of you, I tend to take my free time projects too seriously. I am building a small shed behind my house and wanted to model the compression and tension forces for several roof truss designs I've seen. I've used Comsol for only a couple of class projecs but this seemed like a fun way to get into the program and learn more about how it works.

My problem is that in making the geometry, the bottom chord of my truss is intersected by the "king post" member, which basically connects the peak to the base of the triangle. At this intersection along the base, Comsol wants to put a hinge there, essentially allowing the two halves of the base of the triangle to rotate about the intersection. But I want to model it as if one continuous piece of material stretched across the entire span and the king post connected to this. Anyone know how to tell comsol to not put a joint there? This goes for any truss where you don't want a hinge at an intersection.

I've attached my file so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for indulging in a fun, over-doing-it project.

Eric

0 Replies Last Post Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eric Remington

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.