Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nodes doesn't match degrees of freedom

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am doing and eigenfrequency study for a circular plate. I want to do a modal anaylisis in Matlab with my stiffness and mass matrices. I can export my matrices but the dimensions doesn't match my nodes/ degrees of freedom. I have a triangular shell mesh with 27 nodes and 40 elements which of 12 boundary elements. In theory each nodes should have 6 dof's 3 translation and 3 rotation. The solution of the eigenfrequency analysis says that 558 number of degrees of freedom are solved. This suggest that there are 93 nodes (558/6) but in my mesh there are only 27. How is this possible? If I export my x0 vector and reduced K and M matrices the dimensions give 465 dofs. This suggest that the Rz dof in shell elements has no contribution to the analysis and can be ignored. This still leads to 93 nodes (465/5).

I don't understand why this happens. With this I cannot continue with my modal analysis create an actuator matrix to control the first 20 modes.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Best regards,

Sander

2 Replies Last Post Oct 20, 2021, 3:21 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 20, 2021, 1:31 a.m. EDT

You are probably only counting the corner nodes. If a quadratic discretization is used, there are also 3 midside nodes in each element.

You are correct about one rotational DOF being eliminated. Effectively there are only 5 DOF per node, as long as there are no foldlines, T-joints etc.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
You are probably only counting the corner nodes. If a quadratic discretization is used, there are also 3 midside nodes in each element. You are correct about one rotational DOF being eliminated. Effectively there are only 5 DOF per node, as long as there are no foldlines, T-joints etc.

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 20, 2021, 3:21 a.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

Thanks this helps a lot!

Regards,

Sander

Hi Henrik, Thanks this helps a lot! Regards, Sander

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.