Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I fill the solid body?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I imported .stl file in COMSOL in geometry panel, and I checked 'form solids from surface objects' to make it solid body.

Command lines showed are as below: [Oct 19, 2021 3:17 PM] Finalized geometry is empty. [Oct 19, 2021 3:21 PM] Imported 1 solid object from D:\Documents\urp\ct\1015\monkey_1015 v0.stl via Mesh Part 2. [Oct 19, 2021 3:23 PM] Imported 1 solid object from D:\Documents\urp\ct\1015\monkey_1015 v0.stl via Mesh Part 3. [Oct 19, 2021 3:23 PM] Finalized geometry has 1 domain, 211 boundaries, 2310 edges, and 2101 vertices.

When I cut the model in half with clipping, the cross section was empty. I want it filled since I am going to have ultrasound propagation simulation through skull. Is it already filled(since it's a solid), if not, how can it be fixed? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post Feb 2, 2022, 1:43 p.m. EST

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 21, 2021, 3:43 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Oct 21, 2021, 3:43 a.m. EDT

It sounds like you will need to use the Geometry tools in Comsol to fix some gaps that are preventing Comsol from recognising your imported Geometry as a solid. It is difficult to give any specific fixes. I assume you have the import settings as shown in the attched image?

It sounds like you will need to use the Geometry tools in Comsol to fix some gaps that are preventing Comsol from recognising your imported Geometry as a solid. It is difficult to give any specific fixes. I assume you have the import settings as shown in the attched image?

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 28, 2021, 3:36 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Oct 28, 2021, 3:36 a.m. EDT

I imported a stl file like below: and it also looks like a surface, not solid.

I changed the setting like you attatched, but the error message shows: "Unrecognized file type"

I imported a stl file like below: and it also looks like a surface, not solid. I changed the setting like you attatched, but the error message shows: "Unrecognized file type"

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 2, 2022, 1:35 p.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Feb 2, 2022, 1:35 p.m. EST

Hi Dabin,

I'm quite sure that the "problem" is in clipping itself, not in the fact that solids have been imported as such or just as surfaces.

Did you find the way of making COMSOL show solids as such (instead of hollow) when clipping? I'm afraid that's not possible at present, but who knows in near future?

Apart from clipping, you can try simple "difference" (boolean) operation between your geometry and any other one, like a simple block. Once you apply that operation, you should see solids as solids, and not as surfaces.

Regards,

Jesus.

Hi Dabin, I'm quite sure that the "problem" is in **clipping** itself, not in the fact that solids have been imported as such or just as surfaces. Did you find the way of making COMSOL show solids as such (instead of hollow) when clipping? I'm afraid that's not possible at present, but who knows in near future? Apart from clipping, you can try simple "difference" (boolean) operation between your geometry and any other one, like a simple block. Once you apply that operation, you should see solids as solids, and not as surfaces. Regards, Jesus.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 2, 2022, 1:43 p.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Feb 2, 2022, 1:46 p.m. EST

Hello Jesus,

Yes, it is possible to make COMSOL show solids as such when clipping. This is a feature that was introduced at 6.0, see the video in the Release Highlights at t=0:34, and this link.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Jesus, Yes, it is possible to make COMSOL show solids as such when clipping. This is a feature that was introduced at 6.0, see the video in the [Release Highlights](https://www.comsol.com/release/6.0) at t=0:34, and [this link](https://www.comsol.com/release/6.0/postprocessing-and-visualization). Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.