Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulate the temperature of an expanding gas in laval nozzle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

is it possible to simulate the temperature of an expanding gas? I have an ideal gas which flows thourg a laval nozzle and I need to know the temperature when the gas is expanding because then it is possible to have velocities >Mach=1.
But if I use the "convection and conduction" and set the temperature in boundary settings, it contains constant. So I think comsol doesn't solve the temperature because of the expanding gas but only the transfer of the temperature through the gas. So I wonder if it is generally possible to simulate the temperature decay of the expanding gas.

2 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2012, 5:20 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe so, but it's not something I have tried, there must be other out here that can answer.
It must certainly be easier in the new V4, with the new CFD and HT enhancements

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe so, but it's not something I have tried, there must be other out here that can answer. It must certainly be easier in the new V4, with the new CFD and HT enhancements -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2012, 5:20 a.m. EDT
ok thanks,
next week I get a 2 weeks testversion of the 4.2a version. I hope this is enough time to get some useful results. Because I think with 3.5 it is not possible, but maybe it is with the new CFD-module
ok thanks, next week I get a 2 weeks testversion of the 4.2a version. I hope this is enough time to get some useful results. Because I think with 3.5 it is not possible, but maybe it is with the new CFD-module

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.