Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Out of memory_Quartz crystal microbalance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I am trying to design a quartz cyrstal microbalance(QCM) which consists of a 25.4mm diameter of quartz and 0.333mm thickness and gold electrodes thickness 0.0001mm.

I am trying to find out the change of resonant frequency of QCM by changing the liquid on the top of QCM. Liquids should be water and glycerol and I want to compare those results from air, which means empty.

The below example is that I followed for my goal since it's the first time dealing with this software so I need to follow the similar one. https://www.comsol.com/model/piezoelectric-tonpilz-transducer-11478

The file is too large so out of memory is shown. I am not sure that the attached file is going on a right direction. Is there anybody who helps me to see if it is correct to get my final goal and if the file is correct, is there any solutions to reduce the memory in this file? I have a lot of problem on mesh actually. If you can suggest mesh, please give me advice on that.. it is really tricky.

I have attached the file with deleted mesh and solution since the file is too large. I put the error on the solution here.

Thank you a lot for reading and if you have hard time understanding my problem, please reply to me.

3 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2020, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 29, 2020, 7:06 p.m. EDT

Use a Thin Elastic Layer for the metal, triangular mesh for a face and swept mesh though the quartz.

Use a Thin Elastic Layer for the metal, triangular mesh for a face and swept mesh though the quartz.

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 1, 2020, 11:48 a.m. EDT

Thank you for replying to me! Do you mean thin elastic layer like the picture? and should I delete the metal which has 0.0001mm thickness? or just set up the thin elastic layer (which should be conducted by boundary selection) on the 0.0001mm thickness metal?

Thank you for replying to me! Do you mean thin elastic layer like the picture? and should I delete the metal which has 0.0001mm thickness? or just set up the thin elastic layer (which should be conducted by boundary selection) on the 0.0001mm thickness metal?

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 1, 2020, 12:06 p.m. EDT

I mean the diameter of electrode is smaller than the diameter of quartz so I made a metal which has 0.0001mm thickness and a diameter 12.7mm on Geometry. If it should be removed, should I set up boudary for thin metal which has the same diameter of quarz using a thin elastic layer ? Acutally, Quartz has the tiny thickness also, should it be dealt with as a Thin Elastic Layer?

I mean the diameter of electrode is smaller than the diameter of quartz so I made a metal which has 0.0001mm thickness and a diameter 12.7mm on Geometry. If it should be removed, should I set up boudary for thin metal which has the same diameter of quarz using a thin elastic layer ? Acutally, Quartz has the tiny thickness also, should it be dealt with as a Thin Elastic Layer?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.