Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creation of an Involute Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am trying to create an involute geometry from a set of data points. I input these points into comsol 3.5a but i don't know how to smoothly connect them into the correct shape. I took the set of points i had and created an equation that best describes the shape but i don't know of any way to input an equation into comsol to creat a geometry or if it is even possible. I have looked in several places but they don't talk about different methods to define geometry.

Thanks in advance

MT

3 Replies Last Post Jan 29, 2010, 2:20 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2010, 11:28 p.m. EST
Hi

from my understsand so far you can only build your geometry as standard block and bolean operations in COMSOL.

But if you have an analytical expression of a surface, you can use it to have Comsol to deform a plane face into this shape, I beleive it was via the ALE. It's either used as an example in some of the COMSOL multiphysics courses (that I highly recommend for all users, I learned a lot following them) or in the doc, but as I'm out of office, I have neither by me.

Think it over and have a try

Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understsand so far you can only build your geometry as standard block and bolean operations in COMSOL. But if you have an analytical expression of a surface, you can use it to have Comsol to deform a plane face into this shape, I beleive it was via the ALE. It's either used as an example in some of the COMSOL multiphysics courses (that I highly recommend for all users, I learned a lot following them) or in the doc, but as I'm out of office, I have neither by me. Think it over and have a try Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2010, 2:53 p.m. EST
Could you please reference those documents... i would like to read them! thanks

MT
Could you please reference those documents... i would like to read them! thanks MT

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2010, 2:20 a.m. EST
Hi

they were:
1) part of the COMSOL ALE course I followed in Grenoble a couple of years ago, I can only recommend that you follow some of these courses you learn a lot, even when you beleive you know everything (like me;), I have followed 5-6 and would not mind go back again
2) I beleive (but havnt found back) also in one of the exmples in the documentation, or was it one of the models in the model gallery ?

Basically its setting a prescribed displacement on a boundary of a volume in the ALE module, and have this described displacement being driven by the desired final boundary shape to deform it as desired.

Hope this helps
Good Luck
Ivar
Hi they were: 1) part of the COMSOL ALE course I followed in Grenoble a couple of years ago, I can only recommend that you follow some of these courses you learn a lot, even when you beleive you know everything (like me;), I have followed 5-6 and would not mind go back again 2) I beleive (but havnt found back) also in one of the exmples in the documentation, or was it one of the models in the model gallery ? Basically its setting a prescribed displacement on a boundary of a volume in the ALE module, and have this described displacement being driven by the desired final boundary shape to deform it as desired. Hope this helps Good Luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.