Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spring modelling in piezoelectric mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL Users,

To get more confidence in COMSOL I have modelled some very simple piecoelectric problems using COMSOL and up to now everything worked fine. Right now I was trying to model a small piezoelectric cylinder (PZT-2) where I have attached a spring.

An rough estimate for the change in length under load is given by equation (6) in www.physikinstrumente.com/en/products/prdetail.php?sortnr=400600.40.

dL=L0*(kt/(kt+ks)) where kt is spring contant of pieco and ks is spring constant of the load.

Without any load the displacement I get in Z direction is 43,4nm. Using ks=1000Pa and kt=890Pa (Figured out by measuring the displacement under constant force and calculating F/dL) I would expect 21,48nm. Using the simulation file attached I get approx 15,8nm.

I assume my modelling is not correct of the spring but some help from more advanced people could certainly point me into the right direction.

Thanks,
Christian

0 Replies Last Post Jan 14, 2010, 9:19 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christian Walter

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.