Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem meshing eddy current simulation.

Joao Vicente Goncalves Rocha

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I´m having some problem with the mesh in an Eddy current simulation.

I´m a new user of comsol, so if you have some material about how to correct mesh to improve the resolution of Eddy current problems I would appreciate to.

Thank´s in advance! My model is attached below!

CYA,

JV

3 Replies Last Post Feb 13, 2012, 8:15 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2012, 3:05 p.m. EST
Hi

I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot take a quick look, but one thing that is important with Eddy current simulations, is to resolve correctly the region where the Eddy current develop. This is often in the "skin layer" at a metallic boundary. Therefore you need dense mesh perpendicular to the skin depth decay, and lateral w.r.t the Eddy current loop you expect (model B field dependent). I would recommend to se a "boundary mesh" on the conductive side, and adapt its size to resolve correctly the skin depth, or better 2x the skin depth

Then if you have an AC field, do not forget for the ACDC hypothese to be correct (else consider RF) that your wavelength in the mteril is much greater than the model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot take a quick look, but one thing that is important with Eddy current simulations, is to resolve correctly the region where the Eddy current develop. This is often in the "skin layer" at a metallic boundary. Therefore you need dense mesh perpendicular to the skin depth decay, and lateral w.r.t the Eddy current loop you expect (model B field dependent). I would recommend to se a "boundary mesh" on the conductive side, and adapt its size to resolve correctly the skin depth, or better 2x the skin depth Then if you have an AC field, do not forget for the ACDC hypothese to be correct (else consider RF) that your wavelength in the mteril is much greater than the model -- Good luck Ivar

Joao Vicente Goncalves Rocha

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 13, 2012, 6:59 a.m. EST
Ty for your response,

I´m having bad times trying to simulate this model. I need to see the impedance plan variation when the coil pass on a very small notch in the tube wall. Two issues here:

1 - The superficie is a tube, so is much more trickier to mesh this;

2 - The notch width is 85 microns, so I´m encountering more difficults to mesh it to...

Some help in this issues would be appreciated.

[]´s,

JV
Ty for your response, I´m having bad times trying to simulate this model. I need to see the impedance plan variation when the coil pass on a very small notch in the tube wall. Two issues here: 1 - The superficie is a tube, so is much more trickier to mesh this; 2 - The notch width is 85 microns, so I´m encountering more difficults to mesh it to... Some help in this issues would be appreciated. []´s, JV

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 13, 2012, 8:15 a.m. EST
Hi

very large size ratios are difficult to mesh, often one need to cut up the bulk material a few times, check the FORUM for meshing, there are several discussion there on "how to better mesh". In anycase be sure you have a fine enough mesh for your induced Eddy current region

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi very large size ratios are difficult to mesh, often one need to cut up the bulk material a few times, check the FORUM for meshing, there are several discussion there on "how to better mesh". In anycase be sure you have a fine enough mesh for your induced Eddy current region -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.