Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transfering deformed geometry from one study to another

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys, hope you're doing well. I am working on Solid Mechanics Module in COMSOL 5.4. I am stuck at one step. I applied some forces to a sheet and the deformed sheet is recorded in Study1. Now, I want to use the obtained deformed geomety (along with Stresses and Strains recorded) in Study1 as the initial geometry for Study2. In Study2, I will simply apply few more forces and try to find out the final stresses.

Summary of my query: i) Transfer solutions (Stresses, Strain and the deformed geometry) from one study to another.

ii) Is there any way to do this in the same COMSOL file using 2 studies or I need to extract the solutions and import them in another COMSOl file?

I know some od you might point me out to this link: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/ But here it is clearly mentioned that, 'Please note that remeshing a deformed configuration means simply obtaining the deformed shape computed in structural analysis. When we use this deformed geometry for a later analysis, we are not considering residual stresses. If the second analysis is another structural analysis, keep in mind that the** remeshed configuration is being used as a stress-free configuration** for subsequent studies.' Whereas, I want the stresses to be present in there.

I hope I will get some guidence on how to approach this problem here.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 29, 2020, 11:56 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vaibhav S

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 29, 2020, 11:56 a.m. EDT

I have a similar problem as the author of the question: I would like to do a static study in a first step, where I compress a hyperelastic material strongly (by an actuation pressure) and then in a second step take the deformed geometry (and the stresses created by step 1) and do a study in frequency domain. Is there really no possibility to do this in COMSOL? Attached a simple generic sample for my problem. Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

I have a similar problem as the author of the question: I would like to do a static study in a first step, where I compress a hyperelastic material strongly (by an actuation pressure) and then in a second step take the deformed geometry (and the stresses created by step 1) and do a study in frequency domain. Is there really no possibility to do this in COMSOL? Attached a simple generic sample for my problem. Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.