Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition of natural convection (heat transfer)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am having a general question about the boundary condition in natural convection. I am starting with a really simple 2-D model, one rectangular box set as high temperature metal, and outside is another box set as air at room temperature. I would like to see the temperature change when metal is set to 100 C and air is 20 C.

However, I find many ways to set boudary conditions in this case, for example: convective cooling, heat flux, inflow heat flux, and boundary heat source. To me, all the govening equations mentioned above are the same, because they all need to input heat flux amount or heat convection coefficient. It also works if I do not set any boundary condition between the air and metal, I guess the default setting may be heat conduction.

I am not able to set the boundary as "convective cooling" or "heat flux" when I was setting the material as air in the outside box. If I delete the air box, I am able to obtain a reasonable temperature distribution profile by choosing "air" and "external natural convection" in "convective cooling" condition.

Could anybody give me a introduction what is the difference between all these conditions I listed above, and what is the most appropriate one I should choose for a natural convection boundary condition between metal and air? Also, is there any difference between setting the air as "heat transfer in solid" and "heat transfer in liquid" if velocity is not given?

Thanks in advance!!!

0 Replies Last Post Feb 7, 2012, 7:07 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello 阳 焦

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.