Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

rotationary physics, weak constraint, lagrange multiplier

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol Users

I am modelling a 2D and 3D model of an induction motor. For this I am using Comsol Multiphysics 4.2 version.

2D modelling:
I am using the rotationary machinery physics and a time dependent solver. I have used an 'identity pair' in the boundary between the stator and the rotor and have also added a 'continuity' boundary condition on the same boundary. For accurate flux calculation I have selected the 'bidirectional weak constraint' on the same continuity (as, I read somewhere in this forum that adding a lagrange multiplier (or weak constraint) gives accurate flux).

Now, when I don't use the 'weak constraint' I get a solution pretty fast ( in couple of minutes), but the flux does not seem to be correct. And when I use the 'weak constraint' as described above, the solution takes a lot of time ( more than 20 hours) and then I get nothing but a error message saying ' Time Dependent Solver did not converge'.

I am not being able to figure it out. I have a strict deadline and its very important to finish this model as soon as possible.

Please help me guys!

0 Replies Last Post Dec 9, 2011, 7:17 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello uGrachaNda

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.