Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Insulation

Marie Seltveit Haugen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I want to model the heat transfer through insulation materials like aerogel or mineral wool. Is there a better way to to that than to assign material properties like conductivity, heat capacity and density to a domain (and apply radiation, convection on the boundary)? Should I instead use the "heat transfer in porous material" and if so, what is the difference?

1 Reply Last Post Dec 9, 2011, 1:14 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 9, 2011, 1:14 a.m. EST
Hei

I would say if you know the material property, this is the easiest way, porous material implies different species, and in your case it adds CFD that means quite some extra computational needs. But if you are interested in the air "convective flow" through mineral wool, probably, the complex way it could give some insights, but start with a small cube, not a full house

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hei I would say if you know the material property, this is the easiest way, porous material implies different species, and in your case it adds CFD that means quite some extra computational needs. But if you are interested in the air "convective flow" through mineral wool, probably, the complex way it could give some insights, but start with a small cube, not a full house -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.