Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary data export (postcoord)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have a 3D geometry ( a cylinder of radius 1 and height 0.1, top, bottom and sides together making 6 boundaries faces) for heat transfer problem. I want to read the boundary coordinates of the top face (index 4) of my model after exporting it into matlab (ctrl +F).

In the matlab command line, I am using postcoord to read the coordinate over a 100 grid points.
coord = postcoord(fem,'edim',1,'grid',100,'dl',[4]); This command indeed generates <3x100> array of (x,y,z) coordinates as expected. Since I am only reading the top face, the value z (z=0.1, equal to the height of the cylinder) is constant through out. To reproduce the top face of the geometry, I would expect the values of x
and y varying from -1 to 1. For some strange reasons does not happen. I get -1<x<-0.5402 and 0<y<-0.8415. This does not change however, if I change the number of grid points.

Just to be sure, I tried couple of 1D and 2D cases for which the command postcoord works as expected. I am not sure what is happening in 3D case. Could anyone please shed some light on it.

With regards,
Ravinder

PS: The test file of the model is attached with this messahe

0 Replies Last Post Jan 6, 2010, 6:02 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ravinder Banyal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.