Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solenoid - magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all
i am new the the world of Comsol.
i am trying to develop a solenoid. the aim of the device is to produce a magnetic field inside to solenoid that will be constant.
my question is: Is there a fast way to create the solenoid (3D)

Yoav

2 Replies Last Post Jan 4, 2010, 3:02 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 3, 2010, 5:54 a.m. EST
Hi

I would make a rectangle in 2D axi and then revolve into 3D, if you cannot live with 2D axi whixh is easier as it solves so much quicker.

However in this way you do not simulate each coil, but all turn and you must think in amp/turn for your current

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would make a rectangle in 2D axi and then revolve into 3D, if you cannot live with 2D axi whixh is easier as it solves so much quicker. However in this way you do not simulate each coil, but all turn and you must think in amp/turn for your current Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 4, 2010, 3:02 a.m. EST
well this is not a comsol issue "per se" but in choosing the modeling approach you need to be careful about your problem requirement...specifically here..
what "constant" means...?
which % of variation on which part of the volume.....?

depending upon your application these requirements can be very demanding and will force you to do a true 3d model including connectors and so forth....and sometime depending upon the number of turs and the operaing frequency even include a wire description [ insulating layer...]

if not the axisymmetric is the way to go as Ivar pointed it

So yu really have to think about what your DETAILLED requirement need before thinking of a modeling approach
"constant " is not enough in that respect...
the 2 cannot be separated..
JF
well this is not a comsol issue "per se" but in choosing the modeling approach you need to be careful about your problem requirement...specifically here.. what "constant" means...? which % of variation on which part of the volume.....? depending upon your application these requirements can be very demanding and will force you to do a true 3d model including connectors and so forth....and sometime depending upon the number of turs and the operaing frequency even include a wire description [ insulating layer...] if not the axisymmetric is the way to go as Ivar pointed it So yu really have to think about what your DETAILLED requirement need before thinking of a modeling approach "constant " is not enough in that respect... the 2 cannot be separated.. JF

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.