Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material>Property Group>Local Properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I want to parameterize my material definition. The concept of "Local Properties" seems to be a nice concept. But whatever I define in the "Local Properties" table I cannot use to compute an output property (error message "Undefined variable").

Can you provide me with a small working example for "Local Properties"?

Thanks in advance.

Best regardss

Jens

1 Reply Last Post Aug 26, 2019, 8:10 a.m. EDT
Thomas Englisch COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 26, 2019, 8:10 a.m. EDT

Dear Jens,

there are some predefined materials in COMSOL's material DB which use this functionality. Try to add for instance the following one from the ACDC Matierial DB: 'Soft Iron (With Losses)' as shown on attached Screenshot. Two properties are definied locally since they are only used in the 'Output properties' defined above.

For more detailed information I recommend to have a look on COMSOL Reference Manual chapter 9 'Materials' (p. 556 ff) You will find all documentation at: File > Help > Documentation "You can use local properties to parameterize a material (for example, to create a generic “template” material for a particular symmetry class of anisotropic materials). You can then adjust the local property values for each instance of the material." (p. 570, paragraph: 'Local Properties')

I hope my answer will help you.

Best regards Thomas

Dear Jens, there are some predefined materials in COMSOL's material DB which use this functionality. Try to add for instance the following one from the ACDC Matierial DB: 'Soft Iron (With Losses)' as shown on attached Screenshot. Two properties are definied locally since they are only used in the 'Output properties' defined above. For more detailed information I recommend to have a look on COMSOL Reference Manual chapter 9 'Materials' (p. 556 ff) You will find all documentation at: File > Help > Documentation "You can use local properties to parameterize a material (for example, to create a generic “template” material for a particular symmetry class of anisotropic materials). You can then adjust the local property values for each instance of the material." (p. 570, paragraph: 'Local Properties') I hope my answer will help you. Best regards Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.