Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Export 3D simulation data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a 3D electrostatics simulation which plots current density streamlines. I want to further analyze these data but need the numerical values from COMSOL.

Looking online does not show an obvious way to do this. The export option only sends the geometry to a file, not the current density associated with the x,y,z coordinate.

Can someone in the Forum explain how to export x,y,z coordinates with associated data values?

Thanks,

Art

2 Replies Last Post Apr 17, 2019, 10:30 a.m. EDT

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 16, 2019, 3:00 p.m. EDT

On the COMSOL users forum, I found a post which describes data export, but I am not sure what it is giving me. The output is a text file as described below:

There are five columns:

x y z Streamline Color

The x, y, and z make sense, the spatial coordinates. Since the plot has a finite number of streamlines, the streamlines number is apparently the identifier for a particular streamline.

The puzzling quantity to me is Color. I expected the value at any spatial coordinate to be a numeric value in units of A/m^2.

Would anybody know what the Color value represents?

Thanks,

-Art

On the COMSOL users forum, I found a post which describes data export, but I am not sure what it is giving me. The output is a text file as described below: There are five columns: x y z Streamline Color The x, y, and z make sense, the spatial coordinates. Since the plot has a finite number of streamlines, the streamlines number is apparently the identifier for a particular streamline. The puzzling quantity to me is Color. I expected the value at any spatial coordinate to be a numeric value in units of A/m^2. Would anybody know what the Color value represents? Thanks, -Art

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 17, 2019, 10:30 a.m. EDT

The Plot Data export contains data that can be used for recreating a plot in external programs. The Color is the color that the streamline has onscreen. The color is constant if you have a monochromatic streamline plot, but it will be nonconstant if the streamline plot has a Color Expression subnode. The Color doesn't necessarily have the same unit as the norm of the vector field.

The Plot Data export contains data that can be used for recreating a plot in external programs. The Color is the color that the streamline has onscreen. The color is constant if you have a monochromatic streamline plot, but it will be nonconstant if the streamline plot has a Color Expression subnode. The Color doesn't necessarily have the same unit as the norm of the vector field.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.