Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! Cable losses in official submarine cables follow the law of conservation of energy, that is, the sum of core loss plus metal sheath loss plus armor loss is equal to three times the square of core current multiplied by core AC resistance. In IEC standard, cable core loss is the square of core current multiplied by core AC resistance. These two are contradictory. How do you understand them? Thank you

1 Reply Last Post Mar 27, 2019, 9:33 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Mar 27, 2019, 9:33 a.m. EDT

I do not really see a contradiction. The first approach seems to be something like an engineering rule of thumb. The second approach is correct for losses in a resistor:

However R is the DC resistance. The AC impedance, that is the reactive or imaginary part of the impedance is not creating losses.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I do not really see a contradiction. The first approach seems to be something like an engineering rule of thumb. The second approach is correct for losses in a resistor: P = I^2 \cdot R However R is the DC resistance. The AC impedance, that is the reactive or imaginary part of the impedance is not creating losses.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.