Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D turbulent model in pond in a very large pond- issues solving

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the terbulent flow through a settling pond. Because the geometry is large, I am having issues solving the model. Attached is the model and I would be very thankful for any suggestions. I have a feeling that the issue is mainly with my initial conditions but I am not sure how to fix this.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I just realized I was not being descriptive in my question earlier.

The model is a turbulent flow in a rather large pond. It has two inlets and a single outlet. The mesh is a sweeping mesh in the area with uniform area (in the direction of flow) and free unstructured meshing in the remaining geometry.

about my errors:

1) with the 3D I get "very illconditioned pre-conditioner" in the stationary study and "failed to find consistent initial conditions" with the time dependant

2) I tried a simple 2D turbulent flow with the large geometry and it also ends up with errors. "failed to find consistent initial conditions" with the time dependant. Intrestingly, this one solves in the stationary study, but only if th emesh is coarse! With a fine mesh, it gives an error again- NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_PARDISO

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and would be very very grateful for any help!

Thanks,
Preethi
Hello, I just realized I was not being descriptive in my question earlier. The model is a turbulent flow in a rather large pond. It has two inlets and a single outlet. The mesh is a sweeping mesh in the area with uniform area (in the direction of flow) and free unstructured meshing in the remaining geometry. about my errors: 1) with the 3D I get "very illconditioned pre-conditioner" in the stationary study and "failed to find consistent initial conditions" with the time dependant 2) I tried a simple 2D turbulent flow with the large geometry and it also ends up with errors. "failed to find consistent initial conditions" with the time dependant. Intrestingly, this one solves in the stationary study, but only if th emesh is coarse! With a fine mesh, it gives an error again- NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_PARDISO I am not sure what I am doing wrong and would be very very grateful for any help! Thanks, Preethi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.