Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid-structure interaction - "Failed to find consistent initial values"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I’m trying to simulate blood flow through a straight artery with linearly elastic walls using FSI in COMSOL 5.1.

I can get results from a stationary study with no issues, but when I use the identical boundary conditions to run a time-dependent study, I invariably get the error message “Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged” after approximately 20 iterations.

I’ve tried various things to troubleshoot, including:

• Using the stationary study results as initial values for the time-dependent study
  • Ramping velocity using a step function
  • Decreasing initial time step to 1e-10
  • Decreasing relative tolerance to 1e-5
  • Adding a pressure point constraint
  • Using a pressure inlet instead of velocity inlet

Additionally, when running the time-dependent study (but not the stationary study), I get a warning about an inverted mesh element: “Inverted mesh element near coordinates [coordinates very near (0,0,0)]”,

for which I’ve tried:

• Making the mesh 'fine' instead of 'normal'
  • Making the geometry shape order linear
  • Using Automatic Remeshing based on mesh quality and on distortion
  • Using Adaptive Mesh Refinement

but all to no avail. I continue to get the inverted mesh element warning, and a failure to find consistent initial values.

I’m not sure whether there might be an issue with my boundary conditions, but if so, I can’t figure out what it might be!

The .mph file is attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Emma.

0 Replies Last Post May 9, 2018, 1:12 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Emma Kong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.