Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solver questions regarding a COMSOL tutorial: "Pull-in of an RF MEMS Switch"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone

I have done the "Pull-In of an RF MEMS Switch" tutorial: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/simulating-rf-mems-switch/

It is a nice tutorial, but I don't understand the choices made regarding the solvers used. Therefore, I am listing my questions here together with the original instructions of the tutorial. Hopefully someone can help me or guide me to a good reference.

1 In the Settings window for Time Dependent, locate the Study Settings section.

2 In the Times text field, type range(0,5e-7,5e-5).

3 Locate the Physics and Variables Selection section. Select the Modify physics tree and variables for study step check box.

4 In the Physics and variables selection tree, select Component 1 (comp1)>Electromechanics (emi)>Terminal 3.

5 Click Disable.

1. What is the aim of these steps?
  2. Why do we have to disable terminal 3 ?

Change the default solver to a Fully CoupledDirect solver and use BDF time stepping 3. Why do we have to change the default settings to BDF time stepping and Fully Coupled Direct?

Thank you very much.

I actaully have a bit more questions regarding this tutorial. Please have a look at the attached file.

Thank you very much for your time!

0 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2018, 11:20 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dorian Herle

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.