Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different meshes for different physics?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users,

is it possible to use different meshes for different physics within a coupled (segregated) simulation?

6 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2011, 8:43 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 7:34 a.m. EST
Hi

In v4.1 partly I believe, you can have several meshes (even for the same domains) and then for each solver node you might define the mesh and the specific physics to which it applies to (not necessarily all physics for each solver).

then remains how to couple them by a segregated technique further down in the solver tree. Haven't tried myself , but manually you can do many things

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In v4.1 partly I believe, you can have several meshes (even for the same domains) and then for each solver node you might define the mesh and the specific physics to which it applies to (not necessarily all physics for each solver). then remains how to couple them by a segregated technique further down in the solver tree. Haven't tried myself , but manually you can do many things -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 7:40 a.m. EST
Interesting!

Maybe you can double the geometry and transfer the needed value from one geomtry/physics to another one using extrusion variables.

I attached a file where I used the temperature of subdomain 1to calculate the density of subdomain 2.

Could be a starting point for you?!?

regards
Interesting! Maybe you can double the geometry and transfer the needed value from one geomtry/physics to another one using extrusion variables. I attached a file where I used the temperature of subdomain 1to calculate the density of subdomain 2. Could be a starting point for you?!? regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 7:47 a.m. EST
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. That sounds promising.

Unfortunately, I have no HT license, so I cannot open your attached file.

Best regards
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. That sounds promising. Unfortunately, I have no HT license, so I cannot open your attached file. Best regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 7:51 a.m. EST
Hi

Your model is to be opened in v3.5a since the v4.1 COMSOL get lost in the translation of point selections for the extrusion coupling variables

Indeed another way to do things

By the way multigrid solving isn't that also about multiple mesh ?

I must admit that I play with the physics, and leave mostly COMSOL choose the math solvers by default, mostly it works fine ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Your model is to be opened in v3.5a since the v4.1 COMSOL get lost in the translation of point selections for the extrusion coupling variables Indeed another way to do things By the way multigrid solving isn't that also about multiple mesh ? I must admit that I play with the physics, and leave mostly COMSOL choose the math solvers by default, mostly it works fine ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 8:02 a.m. EST
Ohh sorry.

I transfered it to the "normal" heat transfer mode. And yes, it's 3.5a.

If you can open this model, chek the varaibles T, myT and k_ht. And the extrusion variables for subdomains.

Ohh sorry. I transfered it to the "normal" heat transfer mode. And yes, it's 3.5a. If you can open this model, chek the varaibles T, myT and k_ht. And the extrusion variables for subdomains.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 8:43 a.m. EST
Very interesting!!

Thanks you
Very interesting!! Thanks you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.