Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I get displacement change for a specific point?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For example, I create a block and then I give point force at on plane. Fixed the another plane. Material properties are given.

How can I generate a report of the displacement for the points on the surface of the block.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 24, 2010, 4:34 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 24, 2010, 4:34 p.m. EST
Hi

how do you define a point force on a plane ?

in V4 (3.5 slightly different)
if you have defined a point belonging to a plane and apply a point force only on that point (point => type boundary load) then you will have a singular load case, the stress and deformations around that "point" will be very wrong (whatever mesh you choose, even getting worse with finer mesh !) but the overall results might be more or less OK.

In the solution settings you can make cut planes, cut lines, or point subselection and analyse these extra solutions data sets separately with specific plots so yu can observe in detail the excessive stress build-up

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi how do you define a point force on a plane ? in V4 (3.5 slightly different) if you have defined a point belonging to a plane and apply a point force only on that point (point => type boundary load) then you will have a singular load case, the stress and deformations around that "point" will be very wrong (whatever mesh you choose, even getting worse with finer mesh !) but the overall results might be more or less OK. In the solution settings you can make cut planes, cut lines, or point subselection and analyse these extra solutions data sets separately with specific plots so yu can observe in detail the excessive stress build-up -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.