Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with simulating condensation from a partially filled closed glass vial in a cold fridge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I am having trouble with a condensation simulation. A closed glass vial at ambient temp is partially filled with 10 degC water. When it is put in a cold room with temp of 5degC, condensation occurs. I am trying to simulate the temperature change of the liquid and glass vial over time and see when condensation occurs.
I tried to do the comsol after the vacuum flask and condensation in electronic device examples but my results are no good.
Does someone have any advice? Do I have to assume convection in the liquid? Can I figure out condensation vs. time by just using the "moist air" categorization or do I have to do a phase change?

I attempted attaching my files, but it wouldn't work.

Tamara

1 Reply Last Post Aug 2, 2017, 11:05 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tamara Dib

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 2, 2017, 11:05 a.m. EDT

Hi!
I am having trouble with a condensation simulation. A closed glass vial at ambient temp is partially filled with 10 degC water. When it is put in a cold room with temp of 5degC, condensation occurs. I am trying to simulate the temperature change of the liquid and glass vial over time and see when condensation occurs.
I tried to do the comsol after the vacuum flask and condensation in electronic device examples but my results are no good.
Does someone have any advice? Do I have to assume convection in the liquid? Can I figure out condensation vs. time by just using the "moist air" categorization or do I have to do a phase change?

I attempted attaching my files, but it wouldn't work.

Tamara

Hey Tamara, am working on something similar and having issues also. I had good success modeling without condensation as the fluid as a solid (just conductive heat transfer in the water) and convection on outside of flask/cup. But once getting to the condensation stage am struggling with the different physics boundary conditions. Am starting with a moist surface for the glass and wet surface for top of flask/cup but moisture transfer numbers are not reasonable. Want to make a moist air condition around the flask but quickly run out of memory when making a block of 1m^3 around cup.

Any progress?

-Joseph

[QUOTE] Hi! I am having trouble with a condensation simulation. A closed glass vial at ambient temp is partially filled with 10 degC water. When it is put in a cold room with temp of 5degC, condensation occurs. I am trying to simulate the temperature change of the liquid and glass vial over time and see when condensation occurs. I tried to do the comsol after the vacuum flask and condensation in electronic device examples but my results are no good. Does someone have any advice? Do I have to assume convection in the liquid? Can I figure out condensation vs. time by just using the "moist air" categorization or do I have to do a phase change? I attempted attaching my files, but it wouldn't work. Tamara [/QUOTE] Hey Tamara, am working on something similar and having issues also. I had good success modeling without condensation as the fluid as a solid (just conductive heat transfer in the water) and convection on outside of flask/cup. But once getting to the condensation stage am struggling with the different physics boundary conditions. Am starting with a moist surface for the glass and wet surface for top of flask/cup but moisture transfer numbers are not reasonable. Want to make a moist air condition around the flask but quickly run out of memory when making a block of 1m^3 around cup. Any progress? -Joseph

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.