Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

baffled mixer example

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I built and solved the baffled mixer example which worked flawlessly. I am making a mistake when adapting this to the frequently performed test tube research. I followed the instructions below from the manual and it seemed to work perfectly for me. PDF manual- "The implementation, applying the Rotating Machinery physics interface, is quite straight forward. First you draw the geometry using two separate non-overlapping domains for the fixed and rotating parts. The next step is to form an assembly and create an identity pair, which makes it possible to treat the two domains as separate parts. You then specify which part uses a rotating frame."

I need to make a simple cuvette (rectangle) with a magnetic stir bar creating flow in-situ. The text clearly indicates that the geometry must be "two separate non-overlapping domains." All boundaries appear to be correctly assigned to the Physics in order to mirror the example. I received this error after having assigned the boundaries (symmetry, rotating domain and rotating wall to each part). Certainly, it must be possible to model a stir-bar in a FEM software package? I cannot seem to locate a variable error for ap1 (the identity pair).

Duplicate parameter/variable name.
- Variable: comp1.incontact_ap1
Error in multiphysics compilation.
- Feature: Compile Equations: Stationary (sol1/st1)

The example "baffled mixer" seems to have different boundary (#s) for source and destination boundaries in its ap1. I have no clue how or why mine would not?

I really do appreciate the help since I am a beginner,
Justin

3 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2017, 12:31 a.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 18, 2015, 9:07 a.m. EST
Hi.

There is a similar topic that was posted in the CFD section in this forum. The topic is about "rotating machinery" and "300 rpm" . I think these keywords will guide you to that discussion. Hope this will help you.

Jonathan
Hi. There is a similar topic that was posted in the CFD section in this forum. The topic is about "rotating machinery" and "300 rpm" . I think these keywords will guide you to that discussion. Hope this will help you. Jonathan

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 18, 2015, 12:34 p.m. EST
Thank you Jonathan,

I used the Boolean operator to subtract the rotating domain from its containing domain then re-added the rotating domain and stirrer. The model converges now but the solution for the steady state study is 0. I infer that the module uses relative velocities within the flow domain and that I need to use the unsteady state study with a step function change in rpm.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, best,
Justin
Thank you Jonathan, I used the Boolean operator to subtract the rotating domain from its containing domain then re-added the rotating domain and stirrer. The model converges now but the solution for the steady state study is 0. I infer that the module uses relative velocities within the flow domain and that I need to use the unsteady state study with a step function change in rpm. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, best, Justin

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 31, 2017, 12:31 a.m. EDT
can u please upload ur corrected model
as i m doing the same but not getting the results
and if u did for time dependent then also please forward that
please help
thanks
can u please upload ur corrected model as i m doing the same but not getting the results and if u did for time dependent then also please forward that please help thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.