Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer in thin metal skins

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model conduction heat transfer across a solid block that is encapsulated within a thin metal skin (Thickness - ~0.01 inch). If I use physics-controlled meshing, I end up with too many meshes and the solver runs out of memory. Is there another way to treat the thin metal skin without overwhelming the solver? Any existing example(s) will be very useful.

Thanks is advance for the help.

Kaushik

3 Replies Last Post Sep 9, 2014, 8:55 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 9, 2014, 8:37 a.m. EDT
I think it is best to make separate 2D physics for each metal covered face, and couple it to the the 3D simulation appropriately.
I think it is best to make separate 2D physics for each metal covered face, and couple it to the the 3D simulation appropriately.

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 9, 2014, 8:45 a.m. EDT
Pieter,

Thanks for the message. Can you please elaborate or provide an example problem that I can follow? I am still a relative beginner with COMSOL and heat transfer modeling in general.

Kaushik
Pieter, Thanks for the message. Can you please elaborate or provide an example problem that I can follow? I am still a relative beginner with COMSOL and heat transfer modeling in general. Kaushik

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 9, 2014, 8:55 a.m. EDT
I am sorry, I see that there is a 'highly conductive layer' boundary condition that can be used. Check the COMSOL help for how to use it. Come back to me if you do not get it right.
I am sorry, I see that there is a 'highly conductive layer' boundary condition that can be used. Check the COMSOL help for how to use it. Come back to me if you do not get it right.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.