Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Possibility to import a 2D CAD file to COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am running the last version of COMSOL (4.3b). I tried to import a 2D CAD file to COMSOL but failed to do so! Generally, is it possible to import a 2D CAD file to COMSOL or only 3D files? If so, through which format?

Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Afshin

9 Replies Last Post Jul 29, 2017, 8:43 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2013, 11:55 a.m. EDT
You can import 2D CAD files without the CAD module. You need to have the drawings as .DXF files.
You can import 2D CAD files without the CAD module. You need to have the drawings as .DXF files.

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2013, 11:59 a.m. EDT
Hi,

a 2D CAD file for instance DXF or DWG can be imported in a 2D COMSOL geometry.
Moreover, in a 3D COMSOL Geometry, you can create a workplane (which is a 2D geometry).
There you can import the above 2D CAD file and then embed or extrude it into the 3D geometry.

Best regards
Sven
Hi, a 2D CAD file for instance DXF or DWG can be imported in a 2D COMSOL geometry. Moreover, in a 3D COMSOL Geometry, you can create a workplane (which is a 2D geometry). There you can import the above 2D CAD file and then embed or extrude it into the 3D geometry. Best regards Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2013, 12:37 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Many thanks for the hints. My problem was solved by your helps. :)

Thanks,

Afshin
Hi, Many thanks for the hints. My problem was solved by your helps. :) Thanks, Afshin

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 21, 2016, 3:43 a.m. EDT
Hi all,

I have a problem related to importing a 2D model in Comsol.
The 2D model has been exported from Solidworks as step or iges. This format is not applicable to import in Comsol 2D. So, to overcome that, I produced a dxf file ,but, while it is applicable to import, I always get an error that there is no geometry to import.

Please can you advice further?

Kind regards,

Pavlos.
Hi all, I have a problem related to importing a 2D model in Comsol. The 2D model has been exported from Solidworks as step or iges. This format is not applicable to import in Comsol 2D. So, to overcome that, I produced a dxf file ,but, while it is applicable to import, I always get an error that there is no geometry to import. Please can you advice further? Kind regards, Pavlos.

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 27, 2016, 9:59 a.m. EDT
hello~

I also met this problem when I imported a 2D CAD file which is DXF fomat. Have you solved it yet?

Your reply will be appreciated. Thanks a lot

Wei Rui
hello~ I also met this problem when I imported a 2D CAD file which is DXF fomat. Have you solved it yet? Your reply will be appreciated. Thanks a lot Wei Rui

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 27, 2016, 11:27 p.m. EDT
Hi Sven

I want to import a 2D CAD file for instance DXF or DWG in a 2D COMSOL geometry.

But I get the error 'The file contains no geometry objects of the requested type.'

Do you know how can I solve it?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Wei Rui
Hi Sven I want to import a 2D CAD file for instance DXF or DWG in a 2D COMSOL geometry. But I get the error 'The file contains no geometry objects of the requested type.' Do you know how can I solve it? Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Wei Rui

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 1:01 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 1:02 a.m. EDT
Set layers before import in dxf file.Then import the file with selected layer in geometry import.
Set layers before import in dxf file.Then import the file with selected layer in geometry import.

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 6, 2017, 1:39 a.m. EDT
I have saved my 2D .dwg design of AutoCAD in .dxf format for importing into COMSOL. I selected the layers also, but still the 2D .DXF file is not getting imported in COMSOL. Is there any oter way to import the .dxf or .dwg file?
I have saved my 2D .dwg design of AutoCAD in .dxf format for importing into COMSOL. I selected the layers also, but still the 2D .DXF file is not getting imported in COMSOL. Is there any oter way to import the .dxf or .dwg file?

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 29, 2017, 8:43 a.m. EDT
Hi @Sven Friedel. I have solidworks 2013 and Comsol 5.1, when I try to save the 2D draw as DXF, it does not work (idem for .mph and .dwg). I click on save, but the file is not created.

Thank you for your help.
Hi @Sven Friedel. I have solidworks 2013 and Comsol 5.1, when I try to save the 2D draw as DXF, it does not work (idem for .mph and .dwg). I click on save, but the file is not created. Thank you for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.