Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error on simulating Lithium-Ion tutorial

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

i was trying to do the tutorial of simulating a 2D lithium-Ion battery (www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/9981/), b ut when i try to execute my simulation i get the following errors:

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: material.tplus
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 3

- Operator: mean
- Boundary: 5 8

- Operator: mod1.liion.tplus
- Boundary: 5 8

I dont find the error. i compared it with the done tutorial model and i find no difference and it executes perfectly. i Always get the error and on materials it shows me the error that it wants for the electrolyte the electrical conductiviy and for the electrode materials electroltye conductivity and transport number, which makes no sense.
If someone could give me a hint what the error is, it would be great.

Greetings

Heinz

2 Replies Last Post Aug 3, 2017, 11:48 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Heinz Schmidt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 2, 2014, 10:13 p.m. EDT
Hienz,

I had the same problem and I went through things with a fine-toothed comb.

The issue comes along within the Lithium-Ion Battery Physics and the Electrolyte (Electrolyte 1). If you look closely, the concentration "c" is blocked off and permanently set to the Insertion Particle Concentration. In the tutorial, this has been changed to reflect the "Electrolyte Salt Concentration (lion)".

To make this change, you need to click the pencil icon at the top-left of the Model Inputs tab which says "Make all Model Inputs Editable." This will remove the greyed out concentration selection and allow you to change it to the Electrolyte salt.

Chris
Hienz, I had the same problem and I went through things with a fine-toothed comb. The issue comes along within the Lithium-Ion Battery Physics and the Electrolyte (Electrolyte 1). If you look closely, the concentration "c" is blocked off and permanently set to the Insertion Particle Concentration. In the tutorial, this has been changed to reflect the "Electrolyte Salt Concentration (lion)". To make this change, you need to click the pencil icon at the top-left of the Model Inputs tab which says "Make all Model Inputs Editable." This will remove the greyed out concentration selection and allow you to change it to the Electrolyte salt. Chris

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 3, 2017, 11:48 a.m. EDT
Something that I am not finding in the literature is a reason why you would pick one or the other. Could someone describe a situation when you would want the lithium insertion particle and a situation when you would want the electrolyte salt concentration?
Something that I am not finding in the literature is a reason why you would pick one or the other. Could someone describe a situation when you would want the lithium insertion particle and a situation when you would want the electrolyte salt concentration?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.