Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat loss in hydraulic hose

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm working on an project where it's in my interest to find the heat loss to the surroundings, from the hydraulic fluid
inside a hose. I have access to Comsol Multiphysics 4.3 through my work and school, but has only used it with
mechanical simulations before.

If someone could help me get started, I would be greateful. Also, if somone has made an simulation like this and have
the .mph file, it would be very glad if you could share this with me?!

I have attached an image of an simple straight forward hose that I want to simulate.

I will be grateful for any help you can provide.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 11, 2013, 6:58 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2013, 6:58 a.m. EST
Hi

check the FORUM there should be some examples around, also start with 2D-axi (do not forget the 2*pi*r integration multiplier when integrating over equaivalant full volume)

I can only propose: start with limainar flow of the fluid, then try NITF (flow + HT together), as the latter is a composed physics you need to get both T and flow set up correctly, then its often better to start separate, understand how to get both converging OK separatelay (laminar flow and HT) then combine. As last step see if 3D works (you need quite some RAM for that. Also play with turbulence at last last example, as this takes some time to master, it's useful and interesting, but better concentrate on the first items and master them fully before adding another layer of complexity

--
Good luck & Have fun COMSOLing
Ivar
Hi check the FORUM there should be some examples around, also start with 2D-axi (do not forget the 2*pi*r integration multiplier when integrating over equaivalant full volume) I can only propose: start with limainar flow of the fluid, then try NITF (flow + HT together), as the latter is a composed physics you need to get both T and flow set up correctly, then its often better to start separate, understand how to get both converging OK separatelay (laminar flow and HT) then combine. As last step see if 3D works (you need quite some RAM for that. Also play with turbulence at last last example, as this takes some time to master, it's useful and interesting, but better concentrate on the first items and master them fully before adding another layer of complexity -- Good luck & Have fun COMSOLing Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.