why in solid mechanics module there not a option for a no rotation boundary load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

currently I have a model, for the cube I want it to have a no rotation constaint on it, However there is no option for a no rotation boundary load is there a workaround for this type of problem? I uploaded the mph file and the image of the cube where i want a no rotation boundary load

2 Replies Last Post Mar 25, 2024, 11:56 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago Mar 23, 2024, 9:29 a.m. EDT
Updated: 1 month ago Mar 23, 2024, 9:30 a.m. EDT

In a stationary mechanical setup you need to suppress rigid body movement to get an unambiguous solution. That means you suppress all 6 DOF, translations and rotations.

You only want to suppress rotations and still allow translations. I think the system is underdefined this way and the solver would not converge, even if you found a formal way to do that.

Second, what real physical arrangement would be constrained this way? It seems to be unphysical to me.

Maybe you want to analyze your problem again in order to see if the constraints you need can be achieved in a more realistic way.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
In a stationary mechanical setup you need to suppress rigid body movement to get an unambiguous solution. That means you suppress all 6 DOF, translations and rotations. You only want to suppress rotations and still allow translations. I think the system is underdefined this way and the solver would not converge, even if you found a formal way to do that. Second, what real physical arrangement would be constrained this way? It seems to be unphysical to me. Maybe you want to analyze your problem again in order to see if the constraints you need can be achieved in a more realistic way.

Posted: 1 month ago Mar 25, 2024, 11:56 a.m. EDT
Updated: 1 month ago Mar 25, 2024, 12:15 p.m. EDT

In a stationary mechanical setup you need to suppress rigid body movement to get an unambiguous solution. That means you suppress all 6 DOF, translations and rotations.

You only want to suppress rotations and still allow translations. I think the system is underdefined this way and the solver would not converge, even if you found a formal way to do that.

Second, what real physical arrangement would be constrained this way? It seems to be unphysical to me.

Maybe you want to analyze your problem again in order to see if the constraints you need can be achieved in a more realistic way.

got it i take a look at my problem again and see what need to be done.

>In a stationary mechanical setup you need to suppress rigid body movement to get an unambiguous solution. That means you suppress all 6 DOF, translations and rotations. > >You only want to suppress rotations and still allow translations. I think the system is underdefined this way and the solver would not converge, even if you found a formal way to do that. > >Second, what real physical arrangement would be constrained this way? It seems to be unphysical to me. > >Maybe you want to analyze your problem again in order to see if the constraints you need can be achieved in a more realistic way. got it i take a look at my problem again and see what need to be done.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.