Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat generation calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am modelling microwave heating by Comsol 4.2

I used heat source domain and electromagnetic power loss density as heat source

but I couldn't calculate heat generation terms (W/m^3)

When I use total heat source in volume average, it couldn't becalculated,

Can anyone help me about it?

4 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2012, 8:27 a.m. EST
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 18, 2012, 10:44 a.m. EST
In the Heat Transfer node, add Heat Source for domain.
In the Settings window for Heat Source 1, select domain where heat is generated. Then, in the Heat Source>General source section, select User defined and type in emw.Qrh. (Alternatively, select “Total power dissipation density (emw/wee1)” as General source for Q).

Good luck,
Sergei
In the Heat Transfer node, add Heat Source for domain. In the Settings window for Heat Source 1, select domain where heat is generated. Then, in the Heat Source>General source section, select User defined and type in emw.Qrh. (Alternatively, select “Total power dissipation density (emw/wee1)” as General source for Q). Good luck, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2012, 2:07 a.m. EST
Hİ,

Yes I am doing like this

but when I calculate total heat source value opened window writes

"evaluation of result expression failed"

I do calculate; results>derived values>volume average>total heat source

I can not understand what I must?

could you help me please?
Hİ, Yes I am doing like this but when I calculate total heat source value opened window writes "evaluation of result expression failed" I do calculate; results>derived values>volume average>total heat source I can not understand what I must? could you help me please?

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2012, 7:17 a.m. EST
Sezin,

Under Global Definitions>Parameters, define variable “freq” and assign actual numerical value of the frequency you are using to this variable. Update the model and I suspect that error message “evaluation of result expression failed” will disappear.

Good luck,
Sergei
Sezin, Under Global Definitions>Parameters, define variable “freq” and assign actual numerical value of the frequency you are using to this variable. Update the model and I suspect that error message “evaluation of result expression failed” will disappear. Good luck, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2012, 8:27 a.m. EST
Hi,

it is ok now

thanks a lot...
Hi, it is ok now thanks a lot...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.