Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spatially-varying boundary condition (electric potential)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I am using the Electrostatics package and need to define a surface with a linearly-varying electric potential that depends on one dimension of the model (e.g. V(x,y) = Kx). I tried to define a formula for the potential as suggested in
the thread www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/662/ , but after successfully defining the formula I was unable to use it as the potential in an "Electric Potential" constraint (field "Vo"). Any ideas on how can this be done?

Thanks for any help!

Jorge.

2 Replies Last Post Dec 18, 2012, 10:31 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 18, 2012, 9:34 a.m. EST
Hi

Normally you can write out in your electric potential field

V0*x/Length

with Length a Parameter for normalisation in units of length (metres), or just

V0*x[1/m]

the latter with V0 given in Volts per meter (implicit) or V0*x with units of V0 explicitly set to [V/m]

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally you can write out in your electric potential field V0*x/Length with Length a Parameter for normalisation in units of length (metres), or just V0*x[1/m] the latter with V0 given in Volts per meter (implicit) or V0*x with units of V0 explicitly set to [V/m] -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 18, 2012, 10:31 a.m. EST
Dear Ivar,

it works like a charm!!! THANKS SO MUCH, you just saved our day! :)

Jorge.
Dear Ivar, it works like a charm!!! THANKS SO MUCH, you just saved our day! :) Jorge.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.