Output power in an electromagnetic waveguide completely open in the middle.

Jose David Mosquera Ojeda

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am buiding a electromagnetic waveguide with two horns and two rectangular ports (port 1 is the input power with a value of 0.01W) with impedance boundary condition and perfectly matched layers. The major purpose is to know what is the output power in the port 2 in Watt units.

I think that it is:

Output power=(abs(emw.S21)^2) * (Input power)

But I do not know if this is correct.

Please refer to the attached image for more geometry details. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Mar 6, 2024, 6:21 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 months ago Mar 6, 2024, 6:21 p.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Mar 6, 2024, 6:40 p.m. EST

Hmm. This will probably work if you don't have errors in your model (you didn't post your .mph file, so I can't be sure since I can't see all your other settings). Note that you could simply plot emw.S21dB in post-processing. 0dB means all (100%) the power gets thru, while -3dB means ~half the power (10^-0.3) gets thru, etc. You might want to take a look at emw.S11dB too, to get an idea of how much reflection occurs. Also, I presume you are using the impedance boundary conditions on the waveguide horns (to represent their finite conductivities), and not the ports.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Hmm. This will *probably* work if you don't have errors in your model (you didn't post your .mph file, so I can't be sure since I can't see all your other settings). Note that you could simply plot *emw.S21dB* in post-processing. 0dB means all (100%) the power gets thru, while -3dB means ~half the power (10^-0.3) gets thru, etc. You might want to take a look at emw.S11dB too, to get an idea of how much reflection occurs. Also, I presume you are using the impedance boundary conditions on the waveguide horns (to represent their finite conductivities), and *not* the ports.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.