Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cement flowing around funky 3D shape and displacing mud

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have an interesting fluids problem. 3D object in a snug fit inside a water filled tube. Pump heavy cement in one end, will it displace all of the water as it flows around the object or leave some trapped fluid.

Any recomendations on a CFD module to use?

Regards, John

2 Replies Last Post Feb 3, 2013, 6:11 p.m. EST
David Kan COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2012, 1:19 p.m. EST
Hi John,

I heard back from one of our in-house experts and here are some snippets:

> This sounds difficult. The implementation would need a two-phase flow, where one of the phases (cement) is a non-newtonian fluid. Whether to use level-set, phase-field or euler-euler is not clear to me. Which thixotropy model to use for the concrete is also a research area.

How well the COMSOL solvers are suited for this task is also unknown. But you can give it a try!

David
Hi John, I heard back from one of our in-house experts and here are some snippets: > This sounds difficult. The implementation would need a two-phase flow, where one of the phases (cement) is a non-newtonian fluid. Whether to use level-set, phase-field or euler-euler is not clear to me. Which thixotropy model to use for the concrete is also a research area. How well the COMSOL solvers are suited for this task is also unknown. But you can give it a try! David

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2013, 6:11 p.m. EST
Hi, I found some empirical information that may significantly simplify the problem. for a first order approximation: if the flow is turbulent then the cement slurry will displace the drilling mud. So the problem becomes one of 3D flow to identify whether any zones around the object will have only laminar flow,

What I think would then be valid is to assume turbulent flow, solve with k-e, find the lowest Reynolds number, and check that the Re is large enough that the turbulent assumption is valid. Do you agree?

Regards, John
Hi, I found some empirical information that may significantly simplify the problem. for a first order approximation: if the flow is turbulent then the cement slurry will displace the drilling mud. So the problem becomes one of 3D flow to identify whether any zones around the object will have only laminar flow, What I think would then be valid is to assume turbulent flow, solve with k-e, find the lowest Reynolds number, and check that the Re is large enough that the turbulent assumption is valid. Do you agree? Regards, John

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.