Impact of Zero Electrical Conductivity for Air on COMSOL Simulation Convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The electrical conductivity of air in COMSOL is set to zero. Could this lead to non-convergence in the simulation results? I notice that others generally avoid setting a value of zero and instead use a very small value.

4 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2024, 9:48 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 months ago Feb 7, 2024, 1:11 p.m. EST
Updated: 3 months ago Feb 7, 2024, 1:09 p.m. EST

In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire

Posted: 3 months ago Feb 7, 2024, 11:54 p.m. EST

Oh, thank you so much. I'm using Thermoelectric Effect modus. I think I made a mistake, just the non-triangular element is 0. Thank you for your explanition.

>In some cases, you should not set the conductivity to zero. In others, you may do so. You didn't mention which physics configuration you have chosen. Here is a related discussion: >https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/285781/Magnetic-field-created-by-a-DC-wire Oh, thank you so much. I'm using Thermoelectric Effect modus. I think I made a mistake, just the non-triangular element is 0. Thank you for your explanition.

Posted: 3 months ago Feb 8, 2024, 9:10 a.m. EST

I'm not familiar with the Thermoelectric Effect module but I do know that the Magnetic Fields (mf) module (magnetic potential formulation) is just fine with resistivity of air being zero. At the same time, the Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) module (H-formulation) is not. It depends on how the Maxwell equations are solved and whether they use conductivity or resistivity variables. If your simulation is running with conductivity of 0 and producing results then it's all good. If it isn't you will never converge at all.

I'm not familiar with the Thermoelectric Effect module but I do know that the Magnetic Fields (mf) module (magnetic potential formulation) is just fine with resistivity of air being zero. At the same time, the Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) module (H-formulation) is not. It depends on how the Maxwell equations are solved and whether they use conductivity or resistivity variables. If your simulation is running with conductivity of 0 and producing results then it's all good. If it isn't you will never converge at all.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 months ago Feb 8, 2024, 9:48 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 months ago Feb 8, 2024, 9:51 a.m. EST

It would be interesting to get a more in-depth description of your model, or better yet, your mph file and a description of what you are trying to achieve with the model.

I am saying this because there is also a chance that you should not even be including the region occupied by air in your EM physics.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
It would be interesting to get a more in-depth description of your model, or better yet, your mph file and a description of what you are trying to achieve with the model. I am saying this because there is also a chance that you should not even be including the region occupied by air in your EM physics. Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.