Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in "Electric field component solved for out of plane or in plane" in eigenfrequency study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to plot the band structure of a 1D photonic crystal. In 2D simulation, wave optics module and eigenfrequency study, I designed my structure. I am using periodic bundary condition with Floquet type in 2 sides and periodic boundary condition with continuity type in other 2 sides. I am getting correct band diagram when the electric field is out of plane of the simulation for normal incidence.

But when the electric field is in the plane of simulation, I am getting some strange plots. But my expectation is since the structure is 1D( periodic in one direction lets say y-direction and infinitely extended in other two directions i.e.x- and z- directions) so it should not depend on in which direction electric field is (x or z) as long as propagation is along y-direction. So what can be the possible source of error?

The file is attached below. If anyone knows anything or found any error in simulation then please reply.

Thanking you,

Sudarshan Das

1 Reply Last Post Sep 17, 2023, 10:01 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 months ago Sep 17, 2023, 10:01 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 months ago Sep 17, 2023, 10:05 p.m. EDT

I don't have the Wave Optics module, so I can't run your model, but for what it is worth, your extremely unequally-scaled mesh looks terrible to me. I wonder if your model might work better if using a mesh with more equal scaling in x and y? Anyway, I hope others here can provide you with more assistance. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I don't have the Wave Optics module, so I can't run your model, but for what it is worth, your extremely unequally-scaled mesh looks terrible to me. I wonder if your model might work better if using a mesh with more equal scaling in x and y? Anyway, I hope others here can provide you with more assistance. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.