Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of a pull-out test giving error.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to verify the experimental results of a pull-out test using COMSOL 4.2 But I am getting errors.
The geometry is as follows:
A cavity is made in a cylinder made of concrete. Now a steel bolt is grouted to the inner walls of the cavity. A pull of 10kN is applied on the steel rod. I need to get the resultant stress distribution and the displacements in the entire structure. I am not able to deal with the 2 interfaces(the steel-grout and the grout-concrete interfaces). Please suggest as to how to go about this problem. I am getting solutions in which only the strain on the rod is calculated and everything else ignored, even though I am using "Form Assembly".
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 11, 2012, 7:20 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 11, 2012, 7:20 p.m. EST
I suggest as a first step that you start with forming a union instead of assembly and making sure the model works and you get the results you expect for this setting. In that case you do not need to define contact or any form of interaction between the materials. Then work your way backward and convert one of the interfaces at a time to Assembly.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I suggest as a first step that you start with forming a union instead of assembly and making sure the model works and you get the results you expect for this setting. In that case you do not need to define contact or any form of interaction between the materials. Then work your way backward and convert one of the interfaces at a time to Assembly. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.